Juliette was very pleased recently to be asked by staircase specialists, Jackson Woodturning, for her expert hints and tips on stairwell lighting. Jackson Woodturning’s range of traditional, contemporary and bespoke staircases lends itself to so many different lighting options. From simple wall lights to the most extravagant chandeliers, where do you start? For more information on choosing the right chandelier, check out our Chandelier Chic advice too.
Contemporary Stairwell Chandeliers
- Rock Crystal Inspired Contemporary Tiered Vertical Chandelier£1,910.00 – £5,390.00
- Modern Swarovski Crystal Triple Pendant Chandelier£3,060.00
- Contemporary Italian Designer Chandelier£8,928.00 – £13,248.00
- Exclusive Italian Palm Leaf Designer Ceiling Light£5,292.00
Planning Your Stairwell Lighting
As you know, stairwell lighting takes some very special thought and planning. Many things have to be taken into consideration. First is, of course, style. Is your staircase traditional, classic or contemporary? And are you looking for something to complement or contrast? Next, what size should your stairwell lighting be? If you are thinking of concealed, under-step lighting, inset lighting within a wall, or illuminating the handrail, the lights themselves will be small but the effect is dramatic. Here at Juliettes, these types of specific lighting fall within our bespoke ranges. We specialise in sourcing exquisite items to suit your individual space. Call us for more information. Wall lights or designer chandeliers must be carefully chosen. Too large and they will overwhelm your stairwell. Too small and they will look wrong in the space.
Classic Stairwell Chandeliers
- Large Round Antiqued Bronze Crystal Chandelier£70,188.00
- Art Deco Style Vertical Swarovski Crystal Chandelier£10,975.00 – £25,165.00
Stairwell Lighting Creates Ambience
Stairwell lighting needs to be used sympathetically to enhance the overall feel. Soft lighting creates a warm, welcoming mood while cool lighting gives a more contemporary and airy feel. Don’t go too dim on a staircase. If your overhead or wall lighting is very subdued, consider adding lighting under the steps for safety. If it is within the reach of children, make sure you use LED lighting so there is no heat for little fingers to get hurt.
Contemporary Stairwell Wall Lighting
- Rock Crystal Inspired Contemporary LED Long Wall Light£1,360.00
- Modern Round Coloured Glass Diffuser Wall Light£700.00 – £750.00
- Unique Italian Designer Wall Light£1,675.00 – £2,040.00
- Designer Circular Brass And White Marble Wall Light£1,380.00 – £2,160.00
- Contemporary Italian Natural Onyx Small Wall Light£903.00
- Contemporary Italian Brushed Gold Plated Wall Lamp£756.00 – £965.00
Stairwell Lighting to Increase The Feeling of Space
Lighting can make your staircase come alive. To give the illusion of more space, stairwell lighting needs to be bright without being harsh. The two things to consider are lumens (the amount of light given out – the higher the number, the more light you’ll get) and kelvins (the ‘temperature’ of the light – the higher the number, the cooler or bluer the light). Too cool and it becomes somewhat functional. Choose bulbs that are bright but with a hint of warmth for a fresh, spacious feel.
Classic Stairwell Wall Lighting
- Italian Designer Swarovski Crystal Double Wall Light£740.00 – £1,415.00
- Large Ornate Italian Classic Designer Wall Light£1,906.00 – £2,042.00
Take Your Time
There is an astounding choice of stunning, eye-catching lighting around. Modern innovations in technology and materials have led to a wave of creativity and designs that would have been impossible not so long ago. From fabulous, ultra contemporary chandeliers to beautifully decorative, classic pendants, ceiling lights and wall lights, there is something to suit all tastes. Juliette’s major piece of advice is to set aside plenty of time to browse and find out just what is available before making any choices. And if you are struggling to know what’s right for your staircase, call our interior design team for some advice. They can help with anything from a single item to a full interior design. Give them a call to find out more.